Texas Chili – No Beans!

Written by Katherine

Topics: Uncategorized

I made chili for dinner tonight.  I know, I lead a very exciting life. :)

I don’t normally get so excited about my own cooking (ok, except for the tenderloin, but I digress), but this chili was SO good I have to share.

I found the recipe on this random Texas Chili site, but made a couple modifications based on the ingredients I had.  So here goes:

Instead of a fresh jalapeno, I just added a couple of sliced jalapenos out of a can.  I used one 2lb+ package of chili meat and just under a pound of stew meat that I chopped up into smaller pieces (because that’s what was in the fridge), and oddly enough the presence of two different sizes/textures of meat was kind of serendipitous.  I skipped MSG because – who has that in their pantry anymore anyway?  Instead I added a couple generous dashes of  Worcestershire sauce (Umami and whatnot).  Since the recipe doesn’t specify, I added the tomato sauce can full of water, so about 8oz.  Note also that a bouillon cube= a teaspoon of granules.  I believe I also forgot the black pepper, but didn’t miss it.  The rest is as-is, and I garnished it with more sliced jalapenos, shredded cheese, chopped onions and tortilla chips (skipped the beans).  YUM!  BTW, this is total man food, so feed it to a dude and he’ll be all kinds of happy.

1984 Texas State Men’s Chili Cookoff Winner

sent by Richard Bull
6 Servings

Winner of the 1984 Texas State Men’s Chili Cookoff. Also won the 1988
Chocolate Bayou Chili Cookoff, York, PA. (Unfortunately, the CBCC has
gone the way of all great ideas that are not left alone.)

Ingredients:
3 pounds cubed beef
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons boullion, Beef granules
1 teaspoon boullion, Chicken granules
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons MSG
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 split jalapeno chili pepper

Briefly sear meat and then add chili pepper tied in cheese cloth sack, paprika,
onion powder, cayanne pepper, boullion granules, tomato sauce and water to
cover. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours or so. Add cumin, garlic powder, MSG,
black pepper, and chili powder. Cook for another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
Remove cheese cloth sack with jalapeno pepper and serve.
Beans, ( I have found pintos to be best) prepared and served on the side to be
added after serving. Same with cheese, onions, or what have you.

From: http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recipes/1984%20Texas%20State%20Men%27s%20Chili%20Cookoff%20Winner.txt

The extra-funny thing is that I got this from a random British guy’s site that includes various coverage of Ham radios, fossils, guns and chili peppers.  Go figure, a Texan getting a Texas Chili recipe from a Brit.  :)

13 Comments Comments For This Post I'd Love to Hear Yours!

1. Shawn Powers says:

Indeed a dude will be happy with such a meal. In fact, I think you’ve inspired me. This evening will be chili night at the Powers’ house. :)

2. Katherine says:

Yay for Powers chili!

3. Mark says:

OK…. so most people don’t have MSG… but some of us do have “meat tenderizer”…

Side note – I switched from Badia brand adobo to Goya (best two available in New England) because Badia puts MSG in everything. Then I noticed on a Goya “seasoning” package that it was marked No Salt Added!. Well, they didn’t need to, since they added MSG!

4. Carrie says:

John would love this chili recipe of yours. You guys need to get together and collaborate on some chili. He made a chili a couple of weeks ago and used dark chocolate as an ingredient, it went well with the peppers.

5. Don Crowder says:

If it has beans, it’s soup. I’ll even go so far as to call it ‘spicy bean soup’ but that’s the best I can do. Texas chili doesn’t contain legumes, that’s how it is. Too many people are sensitive to MSG so it’s best left out. I think it’s ok to use sea salt (not the expensive variety, the stuff they sell at bobsredmill.com is just fine) but hide the bag cuz if anyone sees it they’ll think yer a goldang city slicker.

Don Crowder’s last blog post..Can someone loan me a (reg)fly swatter?

6. Ammber says:

If “Texas Chili” can have MSG in it, it certainly can have beans in it!
    Give me a break people.
    If you dont like beans in it fine, but to add an ingredient and say it’s therefore NOT something because of one ingredient is beyond silly.

Apparently this chili was made because it was cheap and they had it on hand, didnt they have beans on hand?

Oh well I grew up IN Texas w/my mother making chili WITH beans in it.

It’s ironic because typically I will not eat beans, I simply do not like the taste of them on their own.
    But mix them w/chili and all they yumminess of the chili makes it the bean combo just right.
    I enjoy a mix of textures, w/o the beans something seems less than, something missing.
    Also they are a healthy food group.

You say no to beans and I say yes to beans and I still call it chili.
    Oh I also like eating them w/frito’s corn chips, it use to be saltine crackers but I like frito’s much more.

7. DeepintheHeartofTexas says:

A big Howdy and a Big I’m Sorry Don, I’m a Texan through & through and if your Mother made Chili with Beans then it was Chili Beans and not Chili Con Carne.

Silly or not that’s just the way it is. Chili con Carne roughly translated is Chili with Meat. I’m positive your Mother’s pot was wonderful as most of our Mother’s renditions were but my fellow Texan, it was Chili Beans. Don’t take my word alone, Google Chili Beans and see the amount of recipes you get for that search!

8. DeepintheHeartofTexas says:

Sorry again Don, my response should have been to Ammber.

9. Anonymous says:

I have a really easy recipe. What you do is get a can of chili that is bean-free and the needed crackers. Put the contents of the can into a bowl and add chili powder to torch your taste buds. Nuke it in a microwave, and once done, add in busted up crackers. Enjoy. It’s a nice case of “keep it simple, stupid”.

10. John Blom says:

MSG in Chili??? Are you crazy? MSG is a poison! Check out what it does to people. If you suffer from migraines, there’s a good chance it comes form eating MSG, not to mention what it does to your insides!!

11. JC says:

This is an outdated response of course, but since I came across it, I couldn’t help but chime in that I am ALSO a Texan through and through, and the word chili con carne is being abused here. When you eat a hamburger, is it defined only by the condiments you put on it? Is a hamburger without pickles a “breaded meat patty”? Chili, is yes, chili con carne, loosely translated as spicy meat. But no one eats it as spicy meat only. They put stuff into it, and therefore it is best thought of as a concoction; like a hamburger. WHATEVER you want to add to your stewed spicy meat, beans or not, is fair game. My personal brand of Texas chili that EVERYONE loves and I’m asked to make it on a monthly basis for someone, has both red and black beans cooked into it. I won’t give away all my recipe, but try putting a tablespoon of mustard in the pot. Gives the flavor an extra dimension.

12. Some Texas says:

Way I was raised, and the way I like things, beans are used as a side dish to a bowl of chili, same as rice and cornbread are. Beans don’t go IN the chili. My recipe’s pretty close to Wick Fowler’s and I often make barbecue beans to go as a side dish.

The way I look at it, sticking beans in chili because you planned to eat both in the same meal makes about as much sense as putting your meatloaf and mashed potatoes in a blender because you were having meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner.